7 Common Mushrooms In Maryland

Mushrooms are one of the most popular types of fungi that are eaten all over the world.

They can be used as ingredients in a variety of dishes, such as pizzas and pasta sauces.

Mushrooms can be found all over Maryland, but some mushrooms are more common than others.

Morels, chanterelles, honey mushrooms, boletes, and eastern destroying angels are all common mushrooms in Maryland. Some of these mushrooms are edible, while others are not.

1. Morels

Common Mushrooms In Maryland

Morels are a common type of mushroom found in Maryland. They have a distinctive, cone-shaped cap with a spongy texture.

Morels are considered a delicacy by many and can be cooked in a variety of ways.

Morels can be found growing in woods or fields. They typically grow near dead or dying trees, stumps, or logs.

Morels are often found in the springtime after the ground has thawed and there has been some rain.

Morels should never be eaten raw. They must be cooked thoroughly before eating as they may contain harmful toxins.

Morels can be sauteed, grilled, or breaded and fried. When cooking morels, it is best to remove the stem as it is often hollow and can contain dirt or insects.

Morels are a delicious addition to any meal. With proper preparation, they can be enjoyed safely by everyone.

2. Chanterelles

common mushrooms in maryland

Chanterelles are one of the most common mushrooms in Maryland. They can be found in wooded areas, gardens, and even in your backyard!

These mushrooms have a distinct shape, with a curved cap and ridged surface.

They can range in color from yellow to orange, and their flesh is firm and slightly chewy.

When cooked, chanterelles have a nutty flavor that goes well with many dishes.

If you’re lucky enough to find some chanterelles, make sure to cook them properly before eating.

While they are generally considered safe to eat, raw or undercooked chanterelles can cause stomach upset. So take the time to sauté or roast them before enjoying!

3. Honey Mushrooms

The honey mushroom is one of the most common mushrooms in Maryland.

This type of mushroom is often found growing on trees, stumps, and logs.

Honey mushrooms are characterized by their brownish caps and white gills.

These mushrooms are edible, but they can be poisonous if not cooked properly.

Honey mushrooms are a type of fungi known as mycorrhizae.

This means that they form a symbiotic relationship with trees and other plants. The honey mushroom helps the tree to absorb nutrients and water, while the tree provides the mushroom with a place to grow.

While honey mushrooms are edible, it is important to cook them properly before eating them. Some people may experience an allergic reaction to raw honey mushrooms.

It is also important to avoid consuming honey mushrooms that have been growing on dead or dying trees, as these may be poisonous.

4. Boletes

The Boletes are a common mushroom in Maryland that can be found in wooded areas.

This type of mushroom has a brown or red cap with white spots and a stem that is hollow.

The Boletes are known to be poisonous if eaten raw, but are safe to eat cooked.

If you come across a Bolete mushroom while out hiking, it is best to leave it be.

These mushrooms are poisonous if eaten raw and can cause stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea.

However, if you cook the Bolete mushroom thoroughly, it is safe to eat. When cooking, make sure to remove the stem as it is not edible.

The Bolete mushroom can be sautéed, grilled, or roasted and makes a great addition to any dish.

5. Eastern Destroying Angel

common mushrooms in maryland

The Eastern Destroying Angel is a common mushroom in Maryland.

This poisonous mushroom can be found in wooded areas and gardens.

The eastern destroying angel is white with a smooth cap.

This mushroom typically grows in clusters. If you come across this mushroom, do not touch it or eat it as it can be deadly.

6. Eastern Jack O’Lantern Mushroom

The Eastern Jack O’Lantern Mushroom is a common mushroom found in Maryland. This mushroom is poisonous and can cause severe gastrointestinal distress if ingested.

This mushroom gets its name from its orange color, which is similar to that of a jack-o’-lantern.

The Eastern Jack O’Lantern Mushroom contains a toxin called illudin, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain.

If you suspect that you or someone you know has eaten this mushroom, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

7. Deadly Galerina

The Galerina mushroom is a common mushroom found in Maryland. It is also one of the most poisonous mushrooms in the world.

The Galerina mushroom contains a deadly poison called amatoxin.

Amatoxin is so potent that it can kill a human within 24 hours of ingestion.

Symptoms of amatoxin poisoning include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and muscle cramps.

If left untreated, amatoxin poisoning will lead to liver failure and death.

If you suspect that you or someone you know has ingested a Galerina mushroom, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.

There is no antidote for amatoxin poisoning, but early treatment can improve the chances of survival.

Treatment involves supportive care to maintain hydration and electrolyte balance.

In some cases, liver transplant may be necessary.

Blog Roll

Star Mushroom Farms