Are there any mushrooms that you should be on the lookout for while in Mississippi? While there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, we can share some information about some of the more common mushrooms that you might find in the state.
[Related Article: 10 Common Mushrooms In Missouri]
Puffballs are a type of mushroom that is common in Mississippi. They have a round shape and are usually white or cream-colored. Puffballs are edible, but they can be poisonous if they are eaten raw.
It is best to cook puffballs before eating them.
Polypores are a type of mushroom that is very common in Mississippi. They are typically found on trees, and they can range in color from white to brown.
Polypores are known for their ability to decompose wood, and they are often used in the production of paper and other products. While polypores are not poisonous, they are not considered to be edible mushrooms.
Morels are a type of mushroom that is common in Mississippi. These mushrooms are usually found in the spring and they have a spongy, honeycomb-like appearance. Morels are often used in cooking because of their earthy flavor.
There are a few different ways to prepare morels. One popular way is to simply sauté them in butter. This allows the morels to retain their moisture and results in a tender, flavorful mushroom. Morels can also be breaded and fried, or used in soups and stews.
If you’re lucky enough to find morels growing in the wild, be sure to cooked them before eating.
Morels should never be eaten raw because they can cause stomach upset. When cooked, morels are a delicious addition to any meal!
Boletes are a type of mushroom that is common in Mississippi. These mushrooms typically have a large, spongy cap with a stalk that is attached to the cap at the center.
Boletes can range in color from white to brown, and they often have small pores on their caps instead of gills. These mushrooms typically grow in wooded areas, and they are a favorite among mushroom hunters.
Boletes are fairly easy to identify, but there are a few look-alikes that you should be aware of. One of the most common look-alikes is the false bolete, which has a similar appearance but does not have any pores on its cap.
Another look-alike is the oyster mushroom, which has a similar shape but grows on trees instead of on the ground.
If you’re interested in hunting for these mushrooms, the best time to do so is during the late summer and fall months. Boletes typically fruit after heavy rains, so keep an eye out for them after thunderstorms or other periods of wet weather.
5. Inky Caps
Inky caps are a type of mushroom that is common in Mississippi. These mushrooms have a long, thin stem and a small cap that is black or dark brown in color. Inky caps are typically found growing on decaying wood or in areas where there is little sunlight.
These mushrooms are edible, but they must be cooked before eating. Inky caps contain a chemical called coprine which can cause nausea and vomiting if consumed raw.
When cooked, however, this chemical is broken down and poses no risk to humans. Inky caps can be sauteed, grilled, or used in soups or stews.
If you’re looking for a new type of mushroom to try, give inky caps a chance! They may not be the prettiest mushrooms around, but they’re definitely delicious.
6. Wine Cap
Wine cap mushrooms are one of the most common mushrooms found in Mississippi. They are easily recognizable by their large, white caps and thick stems. Wine cap mushrooms can grow to be quite large, sometimes reaching up to a foot in diameter!
These mushrooms are often found growing in groups in wooded areas or on the edges of forests. If you’re lucky enough to find some wine cap mushrooms, you can cook them up in a variety of different dishes. They make a great addition to any meal!
If you’re interested in trying to find some wine cap mushrooms yourself, the best time to look for them is after a rainstorm. They tend to pop up overnight, so keep your eyes peeled!
7. Destroying Angel
The Destroying Angel is a poisonous mushroom that is common in Mississippi. This mushroom can be deadly if ingested, and it is important to be able to identify it so that you can avoid it.
The Destroying Angel has a white cap with a smooth surface. The stem of this mushroom is also white and it has no ring around it. This mushroom typically grows in groups or clusters, and it can be found in wooded areas or on the forest floor.
If you come across a Destroying Angel mushroom, do not touch it or ingest it in any way. This mushroom is very poisonous and can cause serious illness or death.
If you think you may have ingested this mushroom, seek medical attention immediately.
8. Deadly Galerina
The Galerina mushroom is a small, brown mushroom that is commonly found in Mississippi. This mushroom is poisonous and can be deadly if ingested. The Galerina mushroom contains a toxin called amatoxin which can cause liver failure and death.
Symptoms of amatoxin poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and jaundice. If you suspect that you or someone you know has ingested a Galerina mushroom, it is important to seek medical attention immediately.
9. False Morels
False Morels are a type of mushroom that is commonly found in Mississippi. These mushrooms are poisonous and can cause serious illness or even death if ingested.
It is important to be able to identify these mushrooms so that you can avoid them when you are out foraging for edible mushrooms.
False Morels have a distinctive shape, with a cap that is attached to the stem at the bottom. The caps are often brain-like in appearance, which is how they got their name.
False Morels are usually a brown or red color, although they can also be grey or black. The stems of these mushrooms are also hollow.
If you come across a mushroom that you think might be a False Morel, it is best to err on the side of caution and not eat it. If you are unsure, you can always consult with an expert before consuming any wild mushrooms.
In conclusion, there are many types of mushrooms that are common in Mississippi. Some of these mushrooms are poisonous, so it is important to be careful when handling them. If you are unsure about a mushroom, it is best to consult with a experts before consuming it.