13 Common Mushrooms In New Jersey


This blog article is all about common mushrooms in New Jersey. We will talk about what kind of mushrooms are found in different parts of the state, how to identify them, and some recipes that include mushrooms.

[Related Article: 11 Common Mushrooms In New York]

1. Honey Mushroom

common mushrooms in new jersey

The honey mushroom is a common mushroom found in New Jersey. This mushroom gets its name from its light brown color and sweet taste. The honey mushroom is a popular choice for cooking because it can be used in many different dishes.

These mushrooms are a delicious and versatile ingredient that can be used in many different recipes. If you are looking for a new way to add flavor to your meals, try using honey mushrooms!

2. Aborting Entoloma

Entolomas are common mushrooms found in New Jersey. They typically have a white or cream-colored cap with a smooth surface. The gills on the underside of the cap are also white or cream-colored.

The stem of the mushroom is usually slender and long, and may be slightly curved.

While Entolomas may not look very dangerous, they are actually one of the most poisonous mushrooms in North America. Eating just a few of these mushrooms can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, and convulsions. In some cases, eating Entolomas can lead to liver failure and death.

If you think you may have eaten a poisonous mushroom, seek medical attention immediately. If you find an Entoloma mushroom in your yard, the best thing to do is leave it alone.

3. Chicken-of-the-Woods

Chicken-of-the-Woods is a common mushroom found in New Jersey. This mushroom gets its name from its chicken-like taste and texture. Chicken-of-the-Woods is a white or cream colored mushroom with a fan or shelf-like shape.

This mushroom can be found growing on the trunks of hardwood trees, such as oak and beech.

This mushroom is edible and can be cooked in various ways. Chicken-of-the-Woods can be sauteed, grilled, or roasted. This mushroom can also be used in soups, stews, or sauces.

When cooking Chicken-of-the Woods, it is important to cook it thoroughly to ensure that all the toxins are destroyed.

If you are looking for a delicious and unique mushroom to add to your meals, consider trying Chicken-of-the Woods!

4. Puffballs

common mushrooms in new jersey

Puffballs are a type of mushroom that is common in New Jersey. These mushrooms typically have a white or cream-colored exterior and a round shape. Puffballs are often found in woods or fields and can range in size from small to large.

Puffballs are edible, but it is important to make sure that they are cooked before eating them. Some people may experience gastrointestinal upset if they eat raw puffballs. Puffballs can be cooked in a variety of ways, including baking, frying, or sautéing.

If you come across a puffball mushroom while out hiking or exploring in New Jersey, you can safely eat it as long as you cook it first. This type of mushroom is a good source of nutrients and can be enjoyed as part of a meal.

Just be sure to properly identify the mushroom before consuming it to avoid any gastrointestinal issues.

5 Wood Blewit

Wood Blewit mushrooms are a type of mushroom that is common in New Jersey. These mushrooms have a blue or violet coloration on their caps and stalks.

Wood Blewit mushrooms are typically found in woods, meadows, and gardens. These mushrooms can be eaten raw or cooked. When cooking, it is important to note that these mushrooms should not be overcooked as this will cause them to become tough.

6 Witches’ Butter

Witches’ Butter is a common mushroom found in New Jersey. This fungi is yellow or orange in color and often appears in wooded areas after rainstorms. While the mushroom is not poisonous, it can cause stomach upset if eaten in large quantities.

This fungi gets its name from its eerie resemblance to butter churning inside of a cauldron. The scientific name for this mushroom is Tremella mesenterica and it belongs to the jelly fungi family.

This particular species of mushroom is found all over the world and often grows on dead trees or logs.

While witches’ butter is not dangerous, it’s important to be careful when handling this fungus. The spores can cause allergic reactions in some people, so it’s best to wear gloves when picking them.

If you do decide to eat witches’ butter, cook it first to reduce the risk of stomach upset.

7. Eastern Destroying Angel

common mushrooms in new jersey

The Eastern Destroying Angel is a very common mushroom found in New Jersey. It is also one of the most poisonous mushrooms in the world. This mushroom gets its name from the fact that it can kill you if you eat it.

The Eastern Destroying Angel contains a poison called amatoxin. Amatoxin is so powerful that just 0.1 grams of it can kill an adult human being.

The Eastern Destroying Angel looks very similar to other mushrooms that are safe to eat, which is why it is so dangerous. This mushroom usually has a white cap with a smooth surface.

The stem of the mushroom is also white and it has no ring around it. The gills of the mushroom are white as well and they are attached to the stem.

8. Death-Cap

The Death-Cap mushroom is a common mushroom found in New Jersey. This mushroom is poisonous and can be deadly if ingested. The Death-Cap mushroom contains amatoxin, which is a toxin that attacks the liver and kidneys.

This mushroom is often mistaken for edible mushrooms, so it is important to be able to identify it.

The Death-Cap mushroom has a white cap with brownish gills. The stalk of this mushroom is also white. This mushroom typically grows in wooded areas. If you come across a mushroom that you think might be a Death-Cap, it is best to err on the side of caution and not eat it.

There are many other edible mushrooms that grow in New Jersey, so there is no need to take the risk.

9. Deadly Galerina

The Galerina mushroom is a common mushroom found in New Jersey that can be deadly if ingested. This mushroom usually grows on decaying logs or stumps and has a brown cap with white gills.

The Galerina mushroom looks similar to other mushrooms, such as the edible Paddy Straw mushroom, so it is important to be able to identify it correctly.

The Galerina mushroom contains amatoxin, which is a poison that can cause liver failure if ingested. Symptoms of amatoxin poisoning include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea.

If left untreated, amatoxin poisoning can lead to liver failure and death.

10. Russula Sp.

common mushrooms in new jersey

If you’re planning on foraging for mushrooms in New Jersey, you’ll want to be on the lookout for Russula sp. This common mushroom is poisonous, and can cause serious gastrointestinal issues if ingested.

While it may not be the most dangerous mushroom out there, it’s still important to be aware of it and to take proper precautions when handling it.

Russula sp. is a small, unassuming mushroom that can be found growing in wooded areas throughout New Jersey. It has a white or pale pink cap, and a white stem.

The gills under the cap are also white. While it may look harmless, this mushroom contains toxins that can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain if eaten. In severe cases, it can even lead to death.

If you come across Russula sp. while out mushroom hunting, the best thing to do is to leave it be. Don’t try to touch it or move it, as this could release its toxins into the air and make you sick just by breathing them in.

It’s better to err on the side of caution and avoid this mushroom altogether.

11. False Parasol

The False Parasol mushroom is a common mushroom found in New Jersey that is poisonous. This mushroom gets its name from its large, umbrella-like cap.

The False Parasol mushroom can grow up to eight inches tall and has a white or light brown stem. The false parasol mushroom is found in woods, meadows, and fields from late summer to early fall.

This mushroom is poisonous and can cause gastrointestinal upset if eaten. Symptoms include nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. If you suspect you have eaten a false parasol mushroom, seek medical attention immediately.

12. Sulfur Tuft

Sulfur Tuft is a common mushroom found in New Jersey.

It is poisonous and can cause stomach cramps, vomiting, and diarrhea if ingested. This mushroom should be avoided at all cost.

13. Earthballs

If you’re out for a walk in the woods in New Jersey, you might come across a small, round mushroom with a smooth surface. This is an earthball mushroom, and it’s common in the state. While these mushrooms are not poisonous to humans, they can be harmful to pets if ingested.

Earthballs get their name from their shape and their habit of growing on the ground. They can range in color from white to brown to black, and they have a reputation for being difficult to spot.

If you do find one, don’t pick it! These mushrooms are protected in some states, and picking them is illegal.

While earthballs are not poisonous to humans, they can cause stomach upset if eaten. Pets are especially susceptible to illness if they eat earthballs, so it’s best to keep them away from your four-legged friend. If you think your pet has eaten one of these mushrooms, contact your veterinarian immediately.

Conclusion

In conclusion, there are many different types of mushrooms in New Jersey. Some are edible, while others are poisonous. It is important to do your research before consuming any mushroom, as some can be deadly.

Be sure to check with a local expert before consuming any mushroom from the wild.

Blog Roll

Star Mushroom Farms