Mushrooms are one of the most varied and interesting organisms in the natural world. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and textures.
Some are edible, while others are poisonous.
Red mushrooms are some of the most beautiful and popular varieties.
Whether you’re looking for a tasty treat or an interesting addition to your garden, here are some tips on how to identify red mushrooms.
[Related Article: Healthiest Mushrooms To Eat: [Top 6 Of All Time]
1. Fly Agaric
Fly agaric is a red mushroom that is often found in woods and fields.
This mushroom is considered to be poisonous, and it can cause stomach upsets, vomiting, and diarrhea if consumed.
Although it is not deadly, consuming fly agaric can make you feel very sick.
If you see this mushroom, it is best to leave it alone and not touch it.
2. Emetic Russula
Emetic Russula is a red mushroom that can be found in many different parts of the world. This mushroom is most commonly found in North America, Europe, and Asia.
This mushroom gets its name from the fact that it can cause vomiting and diarrhea in humans if consumed.
While this mushroom is not the most dangerous mushroom out there, it is still important to be cautious when consuming any wild mushrooms.
If you are thinking about consuming a wild mushroom, it is always best to err on the side of caution and consult with a professional.
Emetic Russula mushrooms have a very distinctive appearance, so they should be easy to spot if you know what you’re looking for.
These mushrooms have a red cap and white gills.
The stem of this mushroom is also white. These mushrooms typically grow in clusters.
If you do come across these mushrooms while out hiking or foraging, it is best to avoid them altogether.
If you are determined to eat them, cook them thoroughly before consuming as this will help reduce the chances of getting sick.
As with all wild mushrooms, Emetic Russula should only be consumed in moderation.
3. Ox Tongue
Mushroom hunting can be a fun and rewarding hobby, but it’s important to know which mushrooms are safe to eat.
One type of mushroom that is often sought after by hunters is the red ox tongue mushroom. This mushroom gets its name from its reddish color and tongue-like shape.
But before you go out looking for this tasty treat, there are a few things you should know about it.
The red ox tongue mushroom is a member of the genus Lactarius, which contains around 500 different species of mushrooms.
Many of these species are edible, but some are not.
The red ox tongue mushroom is one of the edible varieties, but it can be tricky to identify because it resembles some poisonous mushrooms in appearance.
If you’re planning on hunting for red ox tongue mushrooms, make sure you have a good guidebook or an experienced friend with you to help with identification.
Once you’ve found some that you’re confident are red ox tongue mushrooms, cook them up and enjoy!
4. Jackson’s Slender Amanita
Amanita jacksonii, commonly known as Jackson’s Slender Amanita, is a species of fungus in the family Amanitaceae.
It was first described by mycologist William Alphonso Murrill in 1918. The fruit bodies of the fungus grow on the ground in forests.
They have a reddish brown cap that is up to 6 cm (2.4 in) wide, and a white stipe that is up to 12 cm (4.7 in) tall and 2–3 mm (0.079–0.118 in) thick.
The gills are free from attachment to the stipe, and have a whitish to pale pinkish coloration.
The spores measure 7–9 by 4–5 μm and are elliptical in shape with warty surfaces.
The specific epithet jacksonii honors American mycologist Charles Thomas Jackson (1805–80).
5. Stinkhorn Mushrooms
If you come across a red mushroom while out hiking, it’s important to be able to identify it correctly.
There are many different types of red mushrooms, some of which are edible while others are not.
One type of red mushroom that you may encounter is the stinkhorn mushroom.
Stinkhorn mushrooms get their name from the fact that they produce a foul-smelling odor.
This odor is used to attract flies and other insects, which then help disperse the spores of the mushroom.
The spores are located on the underside of the caps of the mushrooms.
Stinkhorn mushrooms are considered to be inedible, so it’s best to avoid eating them.
If you’re not sure whether or not a mushroom is a stinkhorn, there are a few key characteristics to look for. First, stinkhorn mushrooms have a bright red color.
They also have a slimy or sticky surface, and their caps are often shaped like an egg.
If you come across a mushroom that meets these criteria, it’s best to err on the side of caution and avoid consuming it.
6. Starfish Fungus
The red starfish fungus is a type of mushroom that gets its name from its distinct shape. This mushroom is native to North America and can be found in woods or on logs.
The red starfish fungus is not edible and should not be consumed.
7. Basket Stinkhorn
The basket stinkhorn is a red mushroom that can be found growing in woodlands and gardens. This mushroom gets its name from its basket-like shape and the foul smell it emits.
The basket stinkhorn is not considered to be a edible mushroom, as it is quite bitter in taste.
However, some people do use this mushroom for medicinal purposes.
The basket stinkhorn mushroom is easy to identify thanks to its bright red color and distinct shape.
This mushroom typically grows to be about 6 inches tall and has a hollow stem.
The top of the mushroom is covered in a spongy mass that is filled with spores. When the spores mature, they are released into the air and spread by insects or other animals.
8. Octopus Stinkhorn
The red octopus stinkhorn is a type of mushroom that gets its name from its distinct shape and color.
This mushroom is typically red or orange in color and has a long, slender stalk with an umbrella-like top.
The spores of this mushroom are found on the underside of the umbrella-like top and are released when the raindrops fall on them.
These mushrooms usually grow in areas with high humidity, such as near ponds or streams.
The red octopus stinkhorn is not considered to be a safe mushroom to eat due to its high levels of toxins.
However, some people do choose to eat this mushroom despite the risks.
When cooked, the toxins in this mushroom are broken down and it can be eaten safely. It is important to note that eating raw or undercooked octopus stinkhorns can cause serious illness or even death.
9. Stinky Squid (Pseudocolus Fusiformis)
The stinky squid, also known as the red mushroom, is a small, red mushroom that is found in the forests of North America. This mushroom gets its name from its strong, unpleasant odor.
The stinky squid has a wide cap that is attached to a thin stalk. The underside of the cap is white and covered with small pores.
The stinky squid is not considered to be poisonous, but it is not considered to be edible either. This mushroom should not be eaten because of its strong odor.
If you come across this mushroom while hiking or camping, it is best to leave it alone.
10. Dog Stinkhorn
The stinkhorn is a type of fungus that gets its name from the foul odor it emits. This odor is used to attract flies and other insects, which then help spread the spores of the fungus.
The stinkhorn is also easily recognizable by its distinctive shape, which resembles a dog’s head.
Stinkhorns are typically red in color, but can also be white, yellow or brown.
If you come across a stinkhorn mushroom, it’s best to leave it alone.
These mushrooms are not edible and can actually be quite dangerous if ingested. In some cases, the foul odor of the stinkhorn can cause nausea and vomiting.
If you have pets, keep them away from these mushrooms as well since they may be tempted to eat them.